Thursday, September 16, 2010

My Relationship to Language

   I have spoken Korean since I was born in Korea. I usually speak Korean with my family and Korean friends. However, after I came in the U.S, I start to speak English in school with teachers and foreign friends. It was very hard for me. I think I learned Korean from my parents. They taught me father and mother in Korean first and I could speak father and mother first. I think language happen to people from parents because people learn how to speak by their parents. 
   Deutschers article said that "the hypotheses, our mother speech limits what we can think, is not correct because the habits of mind that our culture has instilled in us from infancy form our tendency to the world and our emotional reactions to the objects we face, and their experience." For example, each language focuses certain type information such as sex or time. In addition, different languages let us speak about space in different way like egocentric or geographic coordinates.
   I thought mother language can restrict our language because mother teaches language to her children, but I can extend my mind by the article. Not only mother language but also culture and peoples experience influence our language. I also learned second language English after childhood. During studying English, I felt difficult because English is different culture from Korean and English is spoken different way. In my experience, I could learn second language when I understood other culture.
   I start to wonder about language. What is different between monolingual and bilingual? Can bilingual understand different cultures?

3 comments:

  1. You raise an interesting question--whether or not someone who is bilingual can understand also two cultures. If you speak another language, does it mean you "speak" that culture as well? Do you think your relationships to the English language and to American culture are tied together? The same? Or evolving differently?

    Also--I was wondering what you meant by: "... because the habits of mind that our culture has instilled in us from infancy form our tendency to the world and our emotional reactions to the objects we face, and their experience." This sounds more like Deutscher--is it? If so, you should use quotes "...". But more importantly, I wonder how you understand that phrase. What does it mean to you.

    Finally, when he says "mother language," he's not talking about your mother's language or my mother's language, but rather he is talking about the language we grow up speaking. (Not sure if you got that!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My writing skill is so poor.. so, you can suggest me how to fix it :)
    I think I did paraphrase "Deutscher’s article said that ..." but it's wrong. (haha~) so, I put quotation marks.
    Also. I misunderstood "mother language".

    Thanks for your comment! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heylym, english is hard for all of us who have come from different countries, so i understand when you say "it was very hard for me" but am sure now that you have assimilated more word in english you feel more assertive and not so afraid of asking or saying something anymore.

    ReplyDelete