Friday, October 15, 2010

option #1

 The Scientist in the Crib written by Gopnik, Meltzoff, and Kuhl is based on that the baby learns about the world is like the scientist. It means the baby knows much more than we think and the baby use their knowledge to learn the world that is people, things and language. They make hypothesizes and get learning by experimentations and observation. Specially one focuses on how to learn about language.
 The baby already knows discrimination sounds. Through using that information they learn which sound combinations are possible. By nine months babies show a preference for listening to sound combinations that are possible in their language.
 About three months old babies start to babble. Then seven of eight months babies produce consonant-vowel combinations using sounds like b, d, m, and g with the vowel ah like dadada or bababa.
 When babies begin to talk, they will tell you about when they use their first name. Parental egocentricity being what it is, the parents report Mama and Dada. And also, other things like juice, ball and doggie. Babies language is very simple. Almost always your first guess at what a word meant would turn out to be wrong. For example, gone was one of the most common words these babies used. Parents assume that it has something to do with finishing up food. But the babies used gone to describe the many and varied way that objects disappear form view. Babies at this stage start to learning words and meaning.
 After learning words, they start putting words into two-word combinations. At that time they already have some idea of grammar such as word orders and different meaning by orders. And then, they learn, and create systematic rules, such as the plural s or the past tense ed, and they omit grammatical words such as the or of.

 As the book mentioned that we cannot remember before three, I do not know how I get my language. However, my mother told me what word I started to say. Even though my mother wanted to call mother first, I said father which is [abah] in Korean. That word consists of consonant b and vowel ah.
 Once a week, I teach Korean for Korean American Kids. When I talk with them who are three or four years old, they sometimes make mistakes in sentences. Korean has postpositional word like preposition. The kids omit postpositional words. It is like that English speaking kids omit the or of. Though the languages are different, learning language processing are similar. Also, I stared to study English 2 years ago. I still feel hard to write the or of.
 Before I read the book, I think babies do not know anything. However, the books theory persuaded and taught me that babies are scientists. In addition, my text book The Study of Language mentioned that human has something in human genetics for language. I think I taught Korean for kids by rote. But if the kid knows much more than I think, I try to help them experimentations and observation language.  

9 comments:

  1. Hi Hyelim, first of all, i want to tell you that you did a great job presenting today. And even thought it was your first presentation in English, you looked like a pro :-). well, about the book, something that confused me a little bit, was the sucking part lol(it just sounds funny). i really didnt get that, was it when babies suck on their bottles, or their thumbs, or both?...i also think that it would be a good idea for your paper if you could focus a little more in explaining the process and the psychology behind, the fact of babies being able of speaking grammatically perfect at such early stages of their lives. this was something that really interested me in your presentation, and that i might had liked to learn more about. anyways, how i said before, you did a great job Heylim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!! you did a good presentation Hyelim. you didnt even look nervous. I am also studying childhood education . I think that adults can learn a lot from children. No wonder there are so many books written about them, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hyelim what a great job!! I got to know more about babies and infants thanks to your presentation. It was very interesting to know that babies can discriminate sound and that babies can tell us what they hear by sucking 80 times a minute to keep the sound turned on, how cool is that! And also that at 3 months old they start to coo and already have an idea about how dialogue works, that's amazing! The more I learn about babies, the more surprised I get just to know how much we can learn from them, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Hyelim i thought you did a very good job with the video and audio of your presentation. I also saw that you took alot of time putting that wonderful powerpoint together. Lastly, it is very good that you help younger children speak Korean. Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey! You did a really good job presenting.I found your book to be very interesting and informative on how babies learn to speak and how they put things together in their minds.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jonathanfz : thanks! :) I also like this experiment. very young babies can tell us what they hear by sucking on a special nipple connected to a computer. they slow down, they get bored hearing and suck fast again to hear the new sound.

    ReplyDelete
  8. carlos : I was really nervous. (haha) I agree that adults can learn a lot from children even though my book don't mention that point.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i really loved your presentation. I especially liked the part that children express language as infants by cooing. i had no idea that the way a child sucks could be translated into something the child is trying to communicate. i actually quoted you on my paper about this. Good job, you did great, i cant believe this was your first presentation, you did awesome.

    ReplyDelete